Map your room
Take a seat in your “Teacher’s Chair”. Look around you. What do you see? How do you feel about the room? Does it feel comfortable, welcoming, and friendly? Or is is sterile and forbidding? The first impression is when you sit at your desk can provide important insight. When getting acquainted with your space, consider:
- Do you have enough light?
- Is there a window and does it open?
- What do you see outside the room?
- How far from the door are you? Will your students go past you as they enter and exit? Is there enough space?
- Do you have a line of sight to all student work spaces?
- Is your work space in alignment with emergency protocols in your school? (like lockdowns, fire drills, etc.)